If you wanna add some beautiful curls to switch your wig look, you might be hesitant to use heat styling tools frequently due to the potential damage it can cause to your human hair wig. Fortunately, there are alternative heatless methods to achieve beautiful curls without exposure your wig to heat. In this blog post, we will explore how to curl a wig without heat damage.
How to Curl a Wig Without Heat
Method 1: Using Flexi Rods
Flexi rods come in different sizes and lengths to create different curls. You can use it to curl your wig easily and quickly as you desire.
How to heatless curl a wig by using flexi rods:
1. Start with clean and detangled wet hair. Ensure that your wig is clean and free from any tangles before you begin. You can gently comb through the hair using a wide-tooth comb or a wig brush.
Add leave-in conditioner all over your hair to help your curl style stay neat for longer. Apply hair mousse to your wig hair. Section your wig hair into manageable parts. The smaller the sections, the tighter the curls will be. Then take a small amount of twist cream on the parts to give it enough moisture to last throughout the week. Just a little product is well, too much cream will weigh your curls down.
A super helpful step towards making sure the rollers come out extra neat without adding any heat is to go in with a wave brush before applying the flexi rod. Thoroughly brushing it out first make sure all the wig hair is detangled and lying in the same direction.
2. Take a flexi rod and wrap a section of hair around it, starting from the tip and rolling upward toward the base of the wig. Just against the roller and twist the rest of the hair around the flexi rod. Secure the rod in place by rolling the top of the roller down towards the roots and then bending it into place. Apply a little bit of the same twist cream to the very ends of the hair, it helps your hair stay attached to the roller for longer and adds extra moisture. Continue this process for all sections of the wig until the entire wig is rolled up. Fixed for about at least 3 hours, let it air dry totally.
3. Gently take the rollers out and fluff your curls, revealing your beautifully curled wig. You can spray some 100% argan oil on the curls since it’s very lightweight, this can add some shine to your curls and prevent frizz.
Method 2: Use Robe String
The wig produced by using the robe string is similar to wavy and body wave hair. This method is relatively simple and easy to operate.
How to use robe string do heatless curls:
1. Start with clean, moisturized hair. Use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. After washing your hair, leave it slightly damp. You can either let it air dry or use a blow dryer on a low setting to speed up the drying process. Leave about 10% moisture in your hair. Once your hair is lightly dried, brush it out using a flat brush to smooth out any kinks or frizz.
2. Part your hair down the center, all the way back, dividing it into two even sections. Grab a string of a robe and start wrapping it around your hair. Begin by grabbing a section in the front and wrapping the string all the way around it.
3. As you progress, continue to grab new sections of hair and combine them with the previous section, then wrap the string around the combined hair. Maintain tension in your hair as you wrap the robe string. This means keeping a firm grip on the hair and wrapping the string tightly around it. Continue wrapping the string all the way to the ends of your hair, giving it a gentle twist as you wrap to create a modern finish.
4. Once you reach the ends of your hair, twist the string back in the same direction that you've been twisting your hair and wrap the remaining string. Tuck it in and use a clip to secure it. Repeat the wrapping process on the other side of your hair, following the same steps. Once your hair is wrapped with the string, leave it in for about 5 to 6 hours or overnight.
5. After the recommended time, gently start unraveling the curls from the bottom, working your way up. Unwrap them section by section to maintain a polished look. Once all the curls are unwrapped, give your hair a gentle shake to loosen them up.
Method 3: Use Curlformers to Create Heatless Curls
Curlformer is very similar to flexi rod in terms of usage and appearance. Curls created with a curlformer are tighter and it takes longer to install.
How to curl a wig by using heatless curlformers：
1. Start with clean, dry hair. Part your hair into sections. Use clips to hold the rest of your hair out of the way.
2. Take a small section of hair and apply a setting foam or mousse. Ensuring it is evenly distributed and saturated. Take a curlformer and slide it onto the hook. Make sure the opening of the hook is facing up. Hook the curlformer onto a small section of hair, close to the roots. Push the hook up towards the scalp, covering it with the curlformer. Gently pull the curlformer through the hair, ensuring it is securely in place. Continue this process, working section by section, until all of your hair is in the curlformer.
3. Once all the curlformers are in, allow your hair to air dry. The mesh material of the curlformers helps to speed up drying time. Once your hair is completely dry, gently remove the curlformers starting from the bottom. Apply oil to your hands to prevent any snags or flyaways. Separate the curls using your fingers to create more volume.